Thursday 13 March 2014

1939 Chevrolet conversion - Part 2

Right...Just before I get onto the main event - making the new grill - I have to backtrack a little as I need to check that the new cab will fit on the PST Ford chassis...


On trying to fit it I found that there was still too much resin under the wheel arches, so this will have to be removed. I marked out what would have to come off with a Sharpie, then it was back to the workbench for some more Dremmeling...


Now, let's try again...



Drat, drat and double drat! OK, so the chassis needs shortening, but this means that the front axle will have to be moved back so that the wheels are still centered within the mud guards. I don't think this will have any knock on effects, so let's try sticking the suspension, axle and front wheels and check that this all works...


Good enough for me! But there's plenty of finishing off and tidying up to do, that can wait until later though. Now I need to start working on the grill. I'll start by building up the basic shape with Milliput...


Now, I am *not* trying to build the actual grill itself out of modelling putty, just create a supporting shape onto which I can make the grill from plasticard strips. You'll notice that I've sanded back the lower bonnet about a millimeter - you can see that the hood itself looks bigger. This is because I need to recess these parts so I can glue a thin sheet of plasticard over them to create the final shape of the 1939 bonnet. (If that makes sense?)

Anyroads, that's all I can do for tonight as I will have to let the Milliput dry now and then I can do any final shaping by sanding it smooth.

I'll end with a  lovely photo of an old '39 Chevy, just to remind myself what I am trying to achieve!

1 comment:

  1. That is great work so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished item!

    ReplyDelete