So, just to recap, I was working - at long length - on getting the cab into some sort of acceptable level of completion...
|Note that I opted to remove Zebrano's original grille texture and replace it|
with some nicer mesh material.
It's quite astounding that this is a publicity shot done by Zebrano themselves. Even at my modest level of modelling expertise I think I could make a better job. It doesn't really do much to sell the kit to a potential model maker, especially at the asking price! (Unfortunately I hadn't seen this photo before I bought the kit.) Anyway...Let's put the Zebrano bashing to one size and move on...
One of the annoying faults with the Zebrano kit was the missing flatbed hinges - these are the long rod-like hinges which allow the cargo-bed sides to drop down to allow easy loading. Of the five hinges that should have been part of the cargo-bed components all but one had broken off and mysteriously disappeared.
So, using the one remaining hinge as a template I had to make some simple replacement parts...
|The hinge on the left is finished, the one on the right needs trimming down to size.|
|Here's just a quick shot which showsthe amount of additional work that I ended|
up doing to the cargo-bed in total. The Grey is the original Zebrano resin kit, the
white is the repairs, modifications and additions I have made.
|The finished hinges. Not brilliant but about in keeping with the level of detail|
on the rest of the Zebrano model.
The next job was to start base coating/priming the model. I have decided to start with a black primer for a change as a lot of people swear by this method and I thought I'd try out a top coat of Vallejo's 'Russian Green' airbrushed over this.
|As usual priming makes a model look neater. Hopefully painting will help|
improve what is a mediocre model. We shall see.