|A nice reference photo of Finnish infantry posing in front of a destroyed|
Soviet BT-5 tank. This tank and the proliferation of Czech and Swedish style
helmets means this was probably taken in the early part of WW2.
Extra note on prepping figures: I neglected to mention that as part of the preparation of the Strelet's figures that I had to do some cleaning up on each figure. Being the softer plastic type soldiers they have a fair bit of flash and seam lines, this needs to be removed. And being soft plastic you can't sand or file off the seams - which 'rags' up the plastic - but instead you have to shave the flash off with a scalpel or sharp craft knife blade. This is all a bit tedious and never very satisfactory and is another reason the Strelet's figures are not ideal.
I did a bit of Googling and I believe that for 1/72 wargame figures a base the size of a 1p (UK) coin is the most appropriate size. At this point wargamers usually warn that using actual 1p coins is illegal, but I think that is just because they like the idea of doing something that's perceived as being a bit 'bad'! :)
Anyway, the Bolt Action game is designed to be played with 28mm (1/56) scale figures and these, being larger, can be based on a 2p sized disk. But I am sticking with 1/72 - which I am told works just as well with the rules - but it's interesting to compare the differences in scales (I received a couple of complimentary 28mm Bolt Action figures when I bought the rule books)...
|1/72 scale figures versus 28mm (1/56) scale figures. I think that the faces|
of the larger 28mm soldiers are a lot more interesting and expressive. And
being bigger they must be a little easier to paint!
Once the glue dried I then added texture by slapping on some quick dry Polyfilla with some added sand for texture. I also mixed in some AV Black Lava terrain texture material to turn the Polyfilla black.
AV's Black Lava is funny stuff, but it's name is very apt. It's a glossy black GLOOPY substance with a gritty texture and is ideal for laying down a sloppy muddy ground texture. It's acrylic based - I think - and washes off with tap water.
When my Polyfilla 'ground' dried I gave the bases and the edges of my '1p sized disk' another light coat of the AV Black Lava, just to add some extra grit to it. I know that the other way I could have done this would have been to simply coat the surface of the disk and the base of the figure with PVA and then sprinkle the glue with sand, and perhaps this would have resulted in a similarly gritty effect, but I'm experimenting.
OK, while I wait for this last base coat to dry I will decide what primer base colour to paint my based figures. As with vehicle model base coats there are arguments for either a white or a black primer colour, but I was swayed by the following painting tutorial so may go with white...
NEXT: Primer coat and main base colours.