Saturday 5 April 2014

(Fake) Finnish infantry reinforcements!

The posty brought me a parcel containing some handy 'Finnish' infantry this morning. Well, they aren't actually Finnish, they are Soviet but I hope to utilise them to give my fake Finns some variety and a bit of authenticity regarding infantry weaponry.

First box out is the lovely little Zvezda 'Art of Tactic' Soviet Maxim MG set. This includes two Maxims and crew and will do very nicely as a basis of an easy conversion to a Finnish MG team as the Finns used the same Maxim...


Next we have a couple of Pegasus figure sets, both Soviet infantry and both look like they match my Zvezda and Ceasar infantry in terms of size and scale very nicely...


Naval infantry? Why yes, I was recommended this set as they are multi-pose figures with separate arms and weapons. This gives me the option to do some 'body swapping' so that my Caesar German infantry can have Mosin Nagant rifles and PPsH SMGs (to make them look more Finnish).

And finally we have the Pegasus Soviet Infantry in Summer Dress...


Now I actually got these as I am going to have to start thinking about opposition for my Finns (I fancied knocking up a couple of small Bolt Action armies). But these turned out to be really rather nice and do have some easy conversion possibilities to make them into Finnish infantry too!

There are some really nice poses in this set - and a particularly nice officer with a  PPS-43 SMG. A nice coincidence as I came across a photo just the other day of a Finnish soldier with a captured PPS-43 (circa 1944)...


So, there we go. With the Zvezda and Caesar german infantry sets I already have I should have a lot of options for putting together reasonably realistic Continuation War Finnish infantry (from around the summer of 1944). I'm particularly pleased with the Pegasus Soviet infantry, although they do appear to be mid-war examples and do not come with helmets, and will probably buy some more of these.

I'll do a proper review of all these sets later on, but for now I can get down to producing a test squad of Finnish infantry! Hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment