Although I wasn't happy with the colour scheme that PSC recommended for their WW2 Americans I persevered with the Vallejo paints I bought and decided to mix up what I think are better circa 1943/4 uniform colours. I did buy one additional colour - Vallejo's English Uniform, which had been recommended...
As you can see I tried out two different approaches to outlining gear - a high-contrast black lining method and a more subtle and 'natural' complementary method.
I haven't decided which of these two approaches I like yet - I keep changing my mind. But in any case one thing that I was thankful for was the lack of webbing kit (after doing the Germans), but some might argue that this isn't really authentic.
As to the issue of primer coat, I have to say I wasn't impressed with using white. I much preferred using grey (I didn't like black at all), and surprisingly a white base didn't seem to help that much with the vibrancy of colours - that was down to how I blended and shaded he top coats.
Talking of blending, I was a bit more adventurous with how I blended colours and how I highlighted. I would say that some of my blending was aggressive and exaggerated but it seems to work when I look at it from a distance. And I suppose that is the whole point (something a beginner like myself tends to forget when you work so closely with such a small model).
Next: Some touching up and final detailing, but flocking the base is the last big job before varnishing.