Sunday 6 May 2012

T-34/85 cast turret mod


Thought I would try this simple technique for getting a rough cast metal effect on a T-34/85 turret. Here I am experimenting on a PSC T-34/85 before applying it to my Armourfast T-34/85. Here's the tools for the job...


It's a very simple - but effective - technique, you just apply a thin layer of the liquid cement and then allow it to melt the surface plastic for just a couple of seconds. Then you JAB (don't brush) the surface with and old stiff toothbrush. The harder you jab the deeper and more pronounced the effect.

Importantly I include a scrape PSC T-34 turret that I don't want to try out the technique before I use it on a live project. It's a good idea just so you can gauge just how rough you should go, on my practice turret I went a bit over the top and applied a little too much texture...


The good thing about this technique is that there is some wriggle room for reversing the effect if you do go too rough, a bit of sanding will smooth out things and then you can start again.

Here's a shot of one of my PSC T-34/85s showing just how smooth the turret looks before I apply the effect (the Armourfast turret is just as smooth)...


And the effect applied to tank No. 2...


As you can see, because of my earlier practice I knew just how much pressure to use with the toothbrush to get a more subtle effect. Here's a close up...


I'm quite pleased with this technique, especially as it isn't 'undo-able' in that you can reverse it a bit if you don't like what you have done. Of course this technique can be used on any cast turret (the Sherman springs to mind, or the earlier T-34). But do give it a practise first!

No comments:

Post a Comment