Wednesday, 4 June 2014

German Squad B - uniforms complete (not happy)

In short the new technique for painting miniature I was trying out with this squad was far too complex and convoluted for me. In the end it's sheer fussiness - when compared to my simplified method - simply took far longer for not much of a noticeable improvement...Maybe I was doing it wrong, or I'm just not a very good painter!

To be honest, I think I could have achieved a similar effect by adding a more aggressive highlighting stage to my 'quick' method.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the effect is bad (for me) - I just think it took me three times as long to do it as 'my way'. It has taught me a few new tricks, but otherwise I'm a bit disappointed.

Next: The fleshtones - maybe the 'Painting War' technique can improve my skin painting, we'll see.


  1. I agree that it's a bit overkill to do six shades on 20mm figures, three are more than enough. I have found that sometimes just a basecoat and a wash is sufficient on regular troops. I'm only doing three-four layers on 28mm figures mostly anyway.

    1. Ah well, you live and learn. Glad I tried it all the same - maybe 20mm figures just aren't a big enough canvas to benefit from the extra work. 28mm may be a different kettle of fish (I'll be trying out some 28mm figure in a couple of months so we shall see.)