Friday 20 November 2015

Minairons 1937 Chevrolet 1.5ton truck - part 6

When I finished the last post on this model it was as finish as Minairons intended it. Me being me, I couldn't resist tinkering...Just a little!

The main thing that I noticed about the Minarions Chevy was that the chassis was a little flimsy. I mean there was no cross bracing under the cargo bed and you could see straight through. I did a bit of digging around and found this reference of a '37 Chevy  - 'Stake Truck' variant - and it clearly shows that there was a pretty solid chassis framework under the flatbed...



So I added some styrene rods to the basic chassis to beef it up a bit...


This extra structure will allow me to add a tow-hook at the rear - quite important as this truck is one of three I will be assigning to my anti-tank company (towing 7.5 cm Pak 40s).


It's not a big mod but I feel a bit better about it as the chassis now looks a little more substantial. Now, the other thing I wanted to 'improve' was the tilt canvas. It was a little bland so I painted on some Mr. Surfacer 1000, waited for it to go tacky and then brushed it to produce some rough texture...


And that's about it really, not earth-shaking but issues that were niggling me a bit. There are a couple of other small 'improvement' I'll be adding as I go along as well - I want a windsheild wiper over the drivers window and I want numberplates. Again, not big jobs.

The main thing is the work I have done on the chassis.


And with that, the model is now ready to prime and base coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment