Thursday, 14 May 2015

Airfix 1/72 'Tilly' utility vehicle - another mini-update!

While I would much rather continue the updates of this model by means of the video format I started the particular technique I have been involved with has been so taxing for me that I can't resist putting up another mini-update...

To re-cap: I was having problems getting the 'Tilly's' canvas roof cover right. I had over-weathered it - with pastel pigments - and it eventually just looked over-the-top.

After canvasing for tips to resolve this the most favoured technique seemed to be a light airbrushing to 'smooth out' and tone down the over contrasty highlighting I had done. So I tried it and here's the result...



I am very pleased indeed. You can still make out the underlying weathering and highlighting but it is much more subtle now. All I did was to airbrush Vallejo Matt Black very lightly over the top.

The trick seems to be to stop airbrushing while you think it is just not quite as dark as you think you want it and leave it to dry. When you check it again when dry it probably is exactly the shade you were actually going for! (Does that make sense?)

Anyway, that major hurdle (for me) overcome I can now continue to finish off the model and produce the final movie slideshow.


6 comments:

  1. That looks excellent, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Thanks so much - that was causing me a huge headache! :)

      Delete
  2. Love it
    Got one in the loft I need to do
    Soft skins don't get enough attention
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying doing the soft-skins I've done. Painting canvas is a real challenge. It's nice to do a British one for a change though, and one that has an unusual camo pattern. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice!!!!

    Excellent work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, very nice of you to say so. Have to admit it's the first one I've done I've thought 'yeah, that's OK'! :) It's a good feeling.

      Delete