Friday 6 January 2017

Hunor Model 1939 Ford V8 Truck - Part 2

I keep telling myself 'no more resin kits' and yet, here I am learning just why I swear I'll never do another!

There must be modellers who like resin kits, really there must...The sort of masochists who like wobbling loose teeth until they fall out, or like licking batteries. I guess, to be fair, resin short-run kits fill the dark void where plastic injection manufacturers do not want to tread. Where else would I get an obscure pre-WW2 commercial truck kit if not from resin magicians like Hunor?

Grudging acknowledgement of the important role resin manufacturers have to play in the hobby aside, this kit is already driving me mad...


In the above picture, you can see the enormous lump of resin which is attached to the chassis frame as well as a second chassis I have already freed with a modelling saw (I am making two of these Ford kits). Resin isn't the easiest material to cut when it's so thick, but this hefty chunk is taking the mickey.

The reason I'm moaning is that, when you have to cut free delicate components like this it can be so easy to slip and cut or snap the item...So, I saw or cut slowly...


I'd already cut the truck cab floor from a small slab of resin (just about to start the second) and did some general flash removal. Unfortunately, Hunor's quality control isn't on the ball as you may notice that the radiator grill of the cab in the foreground is damaged...


The other niggle I have about having to cut off slabs of resin like this is that I'm not always sure where, exactly, I'm supposed to detach the component. With the cab's floor it was pretty obvious where to cut, but the chassis was less than clear and I may have to trim some more resin off after I have test fitted all the parts.

It's going to take me some time to safely detach all the parts from their resin imprisonment, so don't expect another update on this project any time soon!

(Just one last thing, I have been reminded that I should include a warning about resin dust. As you can see from my photos, cutting or sawing - or sanding - resin does produce a fair amount of dust. Please remember to wear a protective mask while doing this and clean up your work bench as you go, this stuff is not good for your lungs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment