Friday 27 January 2017

Zvezda 1/72 20mm Flak38 AA Gun - Part 3

Gun Crew Conversion
It's part of my slightly OCD-like propensity that I could not simply put up with the slight variation in size between the heads of my various Finnish AA crewmen, even when they were part of a completely different gun crew!

The Zvezda 1/72 figures, while beautifully sculpted (in my opinion), are a little on the larger side of the scale figure spectrum. Certainly, they are a smidgen larger than the usual Airfix/Revell/Ceasar plastic 1/72 figures that I have been using. So, as with my Bofors crew, I ended up feeling that I had to do a bit of corrective surgery.

Flak 38 crew, front row, left and middle figures.
In fact, one of the figures - the standing loader - ended up with his legs chopped off so I could reduce his height a little bit as well. But, the upshot of all this anality is that all my various AA crewmen look like they are in the same scale now...So, I feel better. :)

It's onto the priming now, but I will leave off painting until I assemble the last crew figures for my AA units - the Landsverk (SP AA gun) crewmen.

A feeling of trepidation ceased me at this point, as I suddenly realised that I will have to go through all this converting of figures again when I come to assemble my field artillery units. Oh, dear!

3 comments:

  1. hello, I like the way you did the crew. In my opinion, Zvezda figures, and here I am referring to the ones that you snap together (hard plastic) and more in scale than the Ceaser ones. I bought the Ceaser figures (the ones that need assembly) so that I can use parts of them with other figures from other companies but compared to others they are much bigger. What figures did you use for the above figures please?
    Regards, Ignatius Grech
    rommel10452@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I like the way you did the crew. In my opinion, Zvezda figures, and here I am referring to the ones that you snap together (hard plastic) and more in scale than the Ceaser ones. I bought the Ceaser figures (the ones that need assembly) so that I can use parts of them with other figures from other companies but compared to others they are much bigger. What figures did you use for the above figures please? Regards, Ignatius Grech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bodies are a mixture of the guns by Zvezda, as are the arms, but from different kits. The heads are from Ceasar's German WW2 Infantry and field cap heads are from Ceasar's Africa Korps infantry.

      Delete