Saturday 13 June 2020

1/100 KV-1S Conversion Pt.3

Well, I finished the modelling part of the work on my little KV-1S tank turrets. Working with a 3D printed model - by Butler Printed Models UK - wasn't the traumatic experience I thought it might be. Yes, the material is a bit weird - "It's plastic, but not as we know it, Jim" - and you do have to use a slight different approach to working with it, but it's not completely alien.

Cleaning up was done more by shaving and paring than by filing, I found this gave a sharper finish to the material BUT it can be filed and sanded, I just preferred to use this technique instead...

Using Tamiya's Modelling Chisel.
"A little off the back, Sir?"
Filling was optional and if you are just wanting to get a war-gaming model quickly onto the table you could skip this cosmetic phase. But, I've plenty of time so sorted out a couple of minor things (they were't even what I would call 'issues')...




I didn't try to smooth out the 3D 'stepping' pattern on the model by filling it - though I had thought about it - instead I gave it a quick sand with very fine grit paper and a thin coat of liquid cement followed by another light sanding. You can't get rid of all the 3D print steps as some are in awkward places but this model is what it is and it was never going to be display level quality.

Finally, I added some little details - again you don't have to for war-gaming...


After gluing on these little bits and pieces I filed or sanded them down to shape and that's that really.


I'm quite pleased, especially when you consider that these turret models only cost me £3.30 each. They really helped me out as it's still hard to find a model of the KV-1S in this scale. I was also, impressed that BPM has the good sense to allow you to buy just the turrets themselves rather than the full tank model. It means that, in cases like the KV tank - where the chassis didn't change all that much throughout the tank's development - you can 'upgrade' your model through the series just by replacing the turret you require. Neat.

Next: Onto making the chassis.
-------------------------------------------------------

Link to this project series - 1/100 KV-1S Conversion

No comments:

Post a Comment