Thursday 21 August 2014

Pegasus 1/72 German Army Truck - Part 2

Picking up from where I left off just before my summer holiday I'm cracking on with the second of my two pegasus German Army Trucks. A reminder...


I had chosen a dark grey camo with light-grey 'squiggles' from the colour scheme that came with an Italeri Opel Blitz kit I had. I don't know if any Wehrmacht Mercedes L3000s had this camo scheme but as the main purpose of this project was for me to try out new camo schemes I thought I would give it a go. I began by masking out the 'squiggles' using BluTac over a light-grey base coat...


This took a while and to be honest I think this was probably an overly convoluted technique, but my airbrush skill (or rather lack of it) just wouldn't allow me to paint the squiggles freehand (and I didn't want to brush paint these on). Once done I gave the whole thing a coat of Humbrol's acrylic spray in Tank Grey, then I peeled off the BluTac...


Not perfect but I suspect the real camo was just whacked on pretty haphazardly too. This will still need a bit of touching up though, just to clean up some of the more sloppy squiggles. But overall, it's an interesting effect.

So, once tidied up I'll give it a coat of gloss varnish before applying the decals (also from the Italeri Opel Blitz kit) and then another coat of varnish before starting the weathering.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work. The blue tac approach was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul...If my brushwork was better I guess I could have saved myself a lot of time, but I wanted to experiment with masking techniques.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work! As far as I recall the Pegasus truck has no windows. Any ideas here? Are you going to scratchbuild your own?
    Cheers
    Per

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That right Per, they come without windows. I will be making my own out of some spare clear plastic (which is why the windows are masked out at the moment, as I have already painted the cab interior ready to fit the windows when the exterior painting is done). Not my favourite job as it can get messy if you aren't careful! :)

      Delete