Wednesday 20 August 2014

World of Tanks Roll Out in 1/35 scale


Here's a curious cross-over of hobbies. I am a fan of the World of Tanks computer game and I have to admit that occasionally I have considered making a plastic kit of a tank that's in my virtual garage. It would be an amusing and novel theme for a kit as the World of Tanks has some interesting - if not entirely authentic - colour schemes and also I must admit there are a couple of my virtual tin-cans that I am particularly fond of and have been with me for quite some time.

Anyway, here's the gist of this post - Italeri has released a series of models aimed specifically at World of Tank fans like myself. Now you can build a little representation of your virtual war-chariot and stick it on your mantle-piece!

I must admit I wasn't a big fan of the M4 Sherman in the game, for me it was just
a means to an end - I wanted to get to this beasty, the M4A3E8 (or 'Easy Eight').
It's just merchandising of course, sticking the WoT branding on a specially designed box - there isn't actually anything special about the kits themselves and they are just re-packaged versions of tanks Italeri already have in their range (probably). Though you do get a nice sheet of decals that replicate some of the emblems that you can put on your tank in the game itself.

So far they have released kits for the:

  • Sturmgeschutz (StuG) 8.8cm Pak43/2 (Ferdinand/Elefant)
  • Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf.E
  • M4 Sherman
  • M24 Chaffee

As a World of Tanks fan I have to say it's a bit of an uninspired line-up. Part of the joy of playing the game is that the developers have brought to life a wide variety of 'paper tanks' (design concepts and prototypes which never actually saw action in WW2) and I would have liked to have seen some of these in kit form. As I said, Italeri have taken the easy option of releasing tanks that they already had as part of their line-up.

Aside from the kit itself Italeri have produced some special World of Tanks
literature to accompany the model. They have also included some special
game codes that provide you and your friends with some benefits in the
game. The literature is noting you can't find online really.
One other thing is that these kits are all in 1/35 scale. Not a problem as I guess fans of the game will want reasonably big ornaments to stick in their trophy cabinet.

As yet I haven't managed to find a price for these 'special' editions* but if it's any more than the bog-standard 1/35 versions of the models then I would have to say that it's a bit of a gimmick and not worth it. Just buy the cheapest 1/35 version of your beloved WoT tank and paint it in whatever scheme you like!

* They are 29 Euros (£23.86) - compared to the standard Italeri version of this model which can be had on Amazon Uk for just £14.99!!!

Link to the Italeri World of Tanks 'Roll Out' Range.

Now, if Italeri had included some of the more novel tanks in the game, like this
Object 268 I might have been tempted. This was a favorite of mine in the game.

2 comments:

  1. While I haven't played WoT properly for about a year now, I really got into it for a few months last spring. I was working my way towards getting the T69 I think. The fast medium tank after chaffee? Unfortunately I moved away and only took my non-gaming computer with me so dropped out of being able to play it. I used to watch professional matches too for a while. They were pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my sympathy. My last gaming computer actually blew up! [Massive electrical surge during a lightning storm of all things.] And I was out of action for a while. Luckily I managed to salvage many of the parts and 'only' [!] had to buy a new motherboard, memory and chip. I'm thinking of having a go at World of Warplanes too now that they are adding a co-op 'versus bots' mode - making it easier for new players to learn the game.

      Delete