Sunday 31 May 2020

The Curse of 'OCD' Strikes Again!

I've been really excited about restarting my modelling hobby after a two year hiatus, but I needed the break as I had burnt myself out a bit (plus there were health issues at the time). However, in all the giddiness and enthusiasm of 'something new' (which is how it seems now) I had forgotten some of the pitfalls of the hobby which contributed to my burn-out in the first place.

Like many modellers I suffer from a certain degree of OCD - well, let's just say that I'm 'on the spectrum' - and that's a bad combo! 😂

Joking aside, the worst thing about 'modelling OCD' is that it can be very distracting. Here's yesterday's example which illustrates just how easy it is for me to get diverted by 'shiny things'...

My main restart project - apart for some practice activity -  is my 1/100 'Battle o Kursk' modelling and I have been busy planning how I will put together a 'battlefield' table on which I can deploy my model tanks to play some games (GF9 'TANKS!').

'Ohhh, this is a nice little idea' - I said in the beginning. What could go wrong?

So, I was Googling around looking at cool bits of game table scenery and I came across a model of a derailed train - see above pic - 'great', I thought...But then modelling OCD set in...

Fast forward 24 hours and what started as thinking of buying a nice little gaming ornament (just to give the game some atmosphere) turned into a long research into the use of locomotives on the Russian Front, thence onto where I could find a suitable 1/100 model, then onto how I could get track and rolling stock to match, THEN I found some more interesting historical reference photos... THEN... THEN... THEN... THEN... And so on. 😖

The upshot was, what started out as a small static ornament eventually turned into a huge modelling project in of itself... The idea to construct a complete Soviet Armoured train in 1/100!!!

How did my simple idea turn into THIS!!!

...AND research into how I could add extra gaming rules to accommodate it into my game!

So there you go....DISTRACTION.

I'll have to be wary of this as I progress this time around and try and stick rigidly to my original - (usually) simpler - ideas and plans. This does explain why it seems I was unable to get so many of my original model projects completed - they all morphed into something else! 😣

No comments:

Post a Comment