Tuesday 6 May 2014

The Yanks are coming - shading tests

Although I wasn't happy with the colour scheme that PSC recommended for their WW2 Americans I persevered with the Vallejo paints I bought and decided to mix up what I think are better circa 1943/4 uniform colours. I did buy one additional colour - Vallejo's English Uniform, which had been recommended...


As you can see I tried out two different approaches to outlining gear - a high-contrast black lining method and a more subtle and 'natural' complementary method.


I haven't decided which of these two approaches I like yet - I keep changing my mind. But in any case one thing that I was thankful for was the lack of webbing kit (after doing the Germans), but some might argue that this isn't really authentic.

As to the issue of primer coat, I have to say I wasn't impressed with using white. I much preferred using grey (I didn't like black at all), and surprisingly a white base didn't seem to help that much with the vibrancy of colours - that was down to how I blended and shaded he top coats.

Talking of blending, I was a bit more adventurous with how I blended colours and how I highlighted. I would say that some of my blending was aggressive and exaggerated but it seems to work when I look at it from a distance. And I suppose that is the whole point (something a beginner like myself tends to forget when you work so closely with such a small model).

Next: Some touching up and final detailing, but flocking the base is the last big job before varnishing.

5 comments:

  1. I must say I prefer the left figure approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two votes for the 'left hand' figure. Cheers! That's really helpful. :)

      Delete
  2. I too prefer the left figure. But I wonder how it would look with the webbing colour on the jacket and the jacket colour on the webbing. Too bad the sculptor messed up the webbings too, US figures should have a x on the back and not a y-strap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the webbing on the PSC Americans is a MESS! I am a bit relived because it's that much less for me to paint while I'm learning BUT I know it's not right (which will annoy me eventually). I'm still peeved that they didn't include any M1 Carbines either! Many thanks for the feedback - it's really helpful. Steve

      Delete
    2. ...Oh nearly forgot - I can see exactly what you mean about reversing the colours! I think I will try a third test model and see how that turns out.

      Delete