Sunday 18 March 2012

Inspiration - Soviet Austin ambulance

I thought it would be a good idea to record some of the inspiration for future projects that I find (otherwise I will forget where I found them)! This one was particularly random as I was looking for something completely different when I found it. It's not lend-lease but a donation made by the people of my adopted home town - Scarborough - to the people of the Soviet Union during the Second World War.

Source: Engines of the Red Army web site, attributed to Mr, Alex Hill.

Apparently a good quantity of British trucks were shipped to the Soviet Union to help them out including a number of these Austin K2 ambulances. I was intending on adding support vehicles like this to my Soviet fleet but had in mind a indigenous ZIS 5 or GAZ truck, but how can I not make a model that ties in with my town's own history?

Because this is special I imagine I will make this as a display quality model and not a quick build so I am now on the look out for a good quality 1/72 K2 kit to add to my already overflowing stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment